St. Martin Monastery of Tibães
Location N 41° 33’ 23.71” | W 8° 28’ 46.13”
Contacts
+ 351 253 622 670; +351 253623950; Fax: + 351 2536
msmtibaes@culturanorte.gov.pt

The St. Martin Monastery of Tibães is located in the parish of Mire de Tibães in the district of Braga. It was classified as a cultural heritage building in 1944, with affection to the DRCN.

In the late XIX century it was founded the Monastery of St. Martin of Tibães, of Benedictine observance in which the monks followed the rules – silence, obedience, poverty, prayer and work – prescribed by St. Benedict of Núrsia.


Read More

In 1110, the counts Henrique and Teresa, Afonso Henriques parents, first King of Portugal, donated to Tibães adjacent lands to the Monastery and granted him the cautum chart.

The Monastery grew up in privilege and power until the XIV century and after the Council of Trent in 1567 chosen for Motherhouse of the Congregation of St. Benedict of the Kingdoms of Portugal, with 22 monasteries in Portugal and 13 in Brazil.

It reached its maximum splendour in the XVII and XVIII centuries, after being transformed into the largest monastic ensembles of the Baroque Portugal and an important centre producer and spreader of cultures and aesthetics place of exception of Portuguese though and art.

The Monastery is constituted by the church convent wings and outside space – the fence. The building that exists today was built over the XVII, XVIII and XIX centuries with a functional architecture, had at that time a clear separation between the areas of prayer, work, leisure, communication with outside areas, occupied by the resident community and others, reserved for use as the Motherhouse of the Congregation.

In 1833/34, with the extinction of the Religious Orders, the Monastery was closed, its inventory and assets offered for sale except the Church, the parish land and a monastic zone, continuing owned by the Portuguese State, stayed in parish use.

In 1986, the Portuguese State, facing the degradation and misappropriation of the heritage in previous decades, acquires it by starting their recovery with studies, records and cleanings that enabled the restoration projects that followed.

Maintaining the uses associated with the Parish of Mire de Tibães, two new areas were implemented: the cultural, associated with the international concept of Monument Museum and Historical Garden, which allows to course, see and feel the places and their times; and the hosting, where the intervention of restoring of the XXI century, adapted the most ruined part of the building to the needs of a religious community of the Missionary Family Donum Dei, with the valences of hosting and the restaurant L’Eau Vive.

Close Close

    Educational Services:

    It organizes and implements several educational activities aimed at all the audiences, seeking to make known the Monastery in a playful and educational way. It has a program of activities which, by appointment, you can do guided tours contextualizing the use of the Monastery by the Benedictine monks, watch puppet theatre shows, watch birds and amphibians or defoliate corn in the fields. You can freely visit the Monastery with the support of audio guides.

    Store:
    Works at the Monastery open time

    Products: books, soaps, educational material, replicates of pieces, linens, brand products Sabores Benedictinos®.

    Accessibilities:

    Elevator

    Water closet for persons with reduced mobility

    Transports:

    Braga Urban Transports, lines 50 and 90.

    41o33’29.71” N   |   8o28’41.97”O

    Timetable

    Open Tuesday-Sunday Closed on Monday and holidays from January 1, Easter Sunday, May 1, June 24 and Christmas Day Summer time (April to October): 10h - 19h Winter Time ( November to March): 10h - 18h free admission.