Paço de Sousa Monastery
Location 41.180112 | -8.366549
Useful Information
ScheduleVisit by appointment.
Contacts
+ 351 255 810 706/+351 918 116 488 | + 351 226 197
rotadoromanico@valsousa.pt | dsbc.drcn@culturanorte.gov.pt

The Paço de Sousa Monastery was founded in the XX century by Trutesendo Galindes and his Anímia woman. Connected to the family of Ribadouro was an important Benedictine monastery.

The church, was built in the XIII century on the same site of the former temple (XX century), has a very own decor. Uses vegetal ornamentation hewn to bevel and develops long friezes inside and outside of the Church, in the manner of Visigoth and Mozarabic architecture (V-VIII centuries). Was in Paço de Sousa who was born a current based on the pre-Romanesque tradition and influenced by issues arising from the Coimbra Romanesque and Porto cathedral, giving rise to what is called the "Romanesque nationalized." The architectural plan of the Salvador Paço de Sousa Church follows the Benedictine temple typology of three ships: a tripartite body in four bays naves separated by diaphragms and covered by wooden roof arches; an equally tripartite, staggered headboard, with round crown molding walls, and vaulted interior.

Read More

Inside the church, is preserved the most important national Roman tomb: the funerary monument of D. Egas Moniz, schoolmaster of the king D. Afonso Henriques, that is the result from the junction of two funerary chests: one of the late XII century and the other from XIII century.

The chancel, sacristy, the cloister and the remains of the monastery building dating from the XVII and XVIII centuries. The set received restoration work in the XIX century (1883 and 1887) and XX (1937-1939). The Salvador Paço de Sousa Church is part of the Route of the Romanesque.

Close Close

    Timetable

    Visit by appointment