Church of Mancelos and Adro
Location N 41° 16' 29.61" | W 8° 9' 26.08"
Useful Information
ScheduleSundays from 6:46 to 9:45.
PriceFree Visit 
Contacts
+ 351 255 810 706/918 116 488 | + 351 226 197 080
rotadoromanico@valsousa.pt | dsbc.drcn@culturanorte.gov.pt

Monastery mentioned in 1120, maybe in the sphere of Portocarreiros and after Fonsecas, Mancelos is an example of manorial intervention in the creation and maintenance of particular churches. Having been integrated in the order of the Regular Canons of Santo Agostinho it is likely that the date, 1166, inscribed on ashlar church, witness the consecration or the dedication of the temple.

However, the remaining architectural traces refer us to the XIII century, being this chronology evident in the main portal. This is sheltered by the porch, which explains its good state of preservation. The capitals were beautifully carved and smooth eardrum is supported by two figures to the Atlantean mode.

Read More

The church has a longitudinal plan composed of rectangular nave and chancel. Outside it has a quadrangular tower, adjoining the front from the south side and consists of three floors. The porch and the tower, among other elements such as the battlements, give monumentality to the Church, deeply modified in later centuries for its edification. This is evidenced by the vestment of the scars and the structural additions. Inside, only the triumphal arch recalls the Romanesque building.

Outside the church, opening to what may have been the monastic cloister, there is a arcosolium framing a tomb, whose face is carved, among other symbols, an armed man with a spear before what appears to be a goat and a wolf. In the cemetery is buried the painter Amadeo de Souza-Cardoso (1887-1918), greater figure of the Portuguese Modernism.

The church of São Martinho of Mancelos integrates the Romanesque Route.

Adapted from: Romanesque Route

Close Close

    Timetable

    Sundays from 6:46 a.m. to 9:45 a.m.

    Price

    Free visit