Church of Gatão
Location 41.296864 | -8.063001
Useful Information
ScheduleSaturday at 6:00 pm | Sunday at 11:00
Price

Free visit

Contacts
+ 351 255 810 706/918 116 488 | + 351 226 197 080
rotadoromanico@valsousa.pt | dsbc.drcn@culturanorte.gov.pt

Isolated in the landscape, the Church of Gatão is a quadrangular building that extends its chronology building by the XIII and XIV centuries. At the head are the most significant Romanesque elements. In addition to the torn interstice in the back wall, it stands out on both sides of a Lombard band. This cornice model on angle bows met a particular host in the Romanesque of the Tâmega and Sousa. From medieval times are also the narrow interstices of the nave, the south portal and the triumphal arch. Comprising two broken archivolts but faceted and smooth, this is surrounded by a chequered frieze.

Read More

In the Modern Era the deepest interventions were effected, particularly outside the main facade, with the addition of the porch and the bell tower.

Whether the ship, near the Triumphal Arch, either in the chancel, there are still significant portions of the fresh mural made in the XV and XVI, which features representations of Calvary, the Coronation of the Virgin, the martyrdom of São Sebastião, Santa Catarina of Alexandria and Santa Luzia.

In the cemetery next to the church is buried Teixeira Pascoaes (1877-1952), one of the most important Portuguese poets and writers of the turn of the XIX to the XX centuries.

The Church of São João Baptista of Gatão integrates the Romanesque Route.

Adapted from: Romanesque Route

Close Close

    Timetable

    Saturday at 18h00 | Sunday at 11h00

    Price

    Free visit